Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Friends are the Heart of the Soul



I woke up in a hissy this morning, as my new iPhone 4 decided to silently sound an alarm causing me to not wake up on time. Therefore, I caught the bus later than usual. My friend and co-worker Carmin came and sat by me. I was so pissed that my new phone failed me.....Let me add that this is my second of two iPhones, as my first one was unsuccessful, also. We Americans rely so heavily on technology that we are often disappointed to the point where we're late to work or class or lose important documents or files, causing us to consecutively lose our minds....But back to Carmin:

She was dressed so cute. She had a bright purple shirt on, with a black sweater on top, jeans, and jewel sandals with purple stones on them, which were complimenting her purple toe nails. To top off the outfit, she had a bold, purple butterfly ring on one of her manicured fingers.
"You look cute," I said, and then I realized she had been crying. She said she couldn't talk about it in front of everyone, so she would send me a text. It turned out Carmin's God sister passed away over a year ago, and today, (9/21/2011) Imani would have turned 18 years old. She said she was wearing purple because it was Imani's favorite color. I recalled Carmin telling me about her before; she told me she was a dancer, and after showing me pictures of her, I could tell. Imani had a habit of standing in first position (a ballet term) unintentionally for pictures. She was a true dancer.

Carmin's situation reminded me of the previous night when I was complaining to her about my dance classes and how I just didn't feel like showing up for practice. Being whiny as usual, Carmin told me, "Don't let anyone steal your joy. If my God sister could be here right now, she'd love to be dancing."

It truly opened my eyes to all of the whining I had been doing. Remember all of the blessings the sweet Lord has given to you. Relying on material things will always disappoint you. That's why God has given me so many loving and dedicated friends to comfort me when my iPhone or other worldly worries get me down in the dumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment